As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Family portraits are one of the most treasured possessions that every family has. They capture memories and moments that cannot be captured anywhere else.
It is, therefore, important to take portrait photos with utmost care and precision.
In this blog post, I’m going to share a step-by-step guideline on How To Shoot Family Portraits.
At the same time, I will try to share some useful Tips, Guidelines, and Ideas for Capturing Great Family Portraits!
If you really want to capture great family portraits, then you have to put your utmost focus while reading the following piece of the discussion.
So, without making any further due, let’s dive right in….
Why Would You Shoot Family Portraits?
At the very beginning, I think it would be a better idea to tell you why you should shoot family portraits.
So, here we go….
The Moments Cannot Be Captured Anywhere Else
If you think about it, the moments that are captured in family portraits belong to a different world altogether.
The expressions might have changed over time but the emotions would still remain intact with these photos for many more years to come.
So, when you’re shooting family portraits, make sure that your focus is on capturing those special and beautiful memories of yours forever!
Family Portraits Are The Dreams Of Every Photographer
Every photographer out there dreams of taking a perfect family portrait at least once in their lifetime!
So, when you’re shooting your own family portraits, make sure that you give it all the required attention and perfection to get things done on point!
Creating Memories with Family Portraits
If there is one single reason that you should shoot family portraits, then this would be it.
Shooting a perfect and beautiful family portrait can create memories that will last forever!
So, from now on, start shooting your own unique kind of family portraits to make some lifetime memories for yourself!
How To Shoot Family Portraits? – All Steps Explained
In this section, I am going to discuss all the steps associated with shooting perfect family portraits.
If you really want to know how to shoot family portraits the right way, then you should pay great attention to the following discussion…
Step 1 – A Good Quality Camera
In the first step, you have to look for a good quality camera for shooting family portraits.
I know that it can be a bit difficult for some people to find the perfect camera but trust me, you don’t need anything fancy or expensive at all!
What You Need: A mid-range DSLR with an aperture of f/11 and shutter speed of more than 125 is what I recommend for family portraits!
So, make sure that your camera has these two features before buying one.
After this step, move on to the next….
Step 2 – Lighting The Subject Properly
In order to shoot great photos of your entire family together in one frame, proper lighting is something that cannot be compromised upon at any cost!
If there was only one thing that you should keep in mind while shooting large group shots like family portraits, then this would be the lighting.
So, make sure that you light the subject properly before clicking photos to get great results!
Step 3 – Positioning The Camera
Next up in the step-by-step guideline on How To Shoot Family Portraits is positioning your camera at a proper angle.
Before shooting family portraits indoors or outdoors, think about every single detail of yours and try to keep it as perfect as possible.
Don’t just shoot random pictures without thinking much because there are chances for things to go wrong very quickly if you don’t have any plan in place already!
So, what should you do? You have to position your camera at an appropriate height…
For Shooting Indoors: If you are planning on shooting inside your home, then always position your camera at a height of around three feet.
For Shooting Outdoors: If you are planning on shooting outside in the open for family portraits, then keep your camera at an average height which is about five to six feet high!
Step 4 – Composition For Perfect Family Portraits
Your focus should be set up properly before clicking any photos because composition can make or break the entire photoshoot itself!
If done right, it will definitely enhance the look and feel of your photos so don’t ever neglect this step if you want perfect results every time…
What did I mean by proper composition? Keep these points in mind while composing pictures….
- Make sure that everyone’s face is visible clearly with no obstructions in the way.
- Look for a pattern when shooting family portraits and try to follow it. Examples: If you are taking photos inside your house, then keep following straight lines and patterns throughout!
- Make sure that everyone is looking at the camera while clicking pictures.
- Get everyone’s attention with a signal and click photos at the same time. This will ensure that no one is blinking or looking away from the camera!
Step 5 – Make Sure To Everyone Has A Smile On Their Face
If everyone is not smiling in your family portrait then it will look incomplete no matter how good the composition, lighting, or positioning are.
So, make sure that you mention this to them before snapping photos so that they can be prepared for the shoot beforehand!
How To Shoot Family Portraits Indoors?
In this section, we will discuss How To Shoot Family Portraits Indoors.
The time you want to shoot family portraits at your home, there are several things you have to keep in your mind.
So, what are those things???
- When you are shooting indoors for family portraits then make sure that the place is well lit and there aren’t any major shadows in the frame which could ruin your photoshoot!
- If possible, use natural light to illuminate your subject because you can capture great results when using it properly.
- Try to use a backdrop for shooting family portraits indoors as it will help you get great results if done right. So, the next time when you want exceptional shots of your entire family together inside your home, just follow these steps and tips!
- Make the background plain and simple because it will make your portrait stand out from anything else!
How To Shoot Family Portraits Outdoors?
In this section, we will discuss How To Shoot Family Portraits Outdoors. In order to shoot family portraits outside in the open, you need a plan…
So, what should be that plan???
Here are some important things which you have to keep in mind before going outdoor for shooting large group shots like family portraits….
- If possible then use natural light instead of turning on electric lights if there is darkness around. Natural lighting works great when used right!
- Choose an area where plenty of fresh air can circulate while taking pictures so that no one falls sick due to lack of oxygen…
- Go for a backdrop if you are planning to shoot near the beach or somewhere near water because this will make your photos look great!
- Try to shoot in the early morning or late evening hours because this is when you get great results from natural light!
By following these guidelines, anyone can easily take perfect family portraits outdoors.
So, don’t forget them when going out for taking pictures next time!!!
Now that we have discussed how to shoot family portraits outdoors, let’s check out some other things which are important before going for a photoshoot.
Tips Regarding How To Shoot Large Family Portraits
In this section, I will try to give some useful tips that will help you shoot large family portraits.
So, here we go….
- Make sure that everyone looks their best while taking pictures.
- This is something which every photographer will tell you… make sure to get permission from your subject before clicking photos because this will ensure smooth sailing for the entire shoot!
- You must choose a great background to take pictures against. So, make sure that the backdrop fits everyone perfectly!
- Try to use interesting backgrounds which can help you get unique shots for your family album… so, go explore different places before clicking photos!!!
- If you want to capture some great close-up shots then make sure that the people in your family portrait don’t wear glasses and hats, do not stare directly into the camera lens…
- Do not stand too far from each other while taking pictures because it will be hard for everyone to fit in the frame if they are standing really far apart. In fact, try to get as closer as possible!
So, these were some tips regarding How To Shoot Large Family Portraits.
Now let’s check out some important things which are related to family portrait photography ideas.
Family Portrait Photography Ideas
If you are looking for some ideas of how to shoot family portraits, the first thing which comes into your mind is probably expensive backdrops.
But why spend money on something that can be done without?
Here are some great photography ideas that will help you get amazing photos for sure!
- Take pictures against white or light-colored backgrounds as they tend to make people look brighter and feel more comfortable…
- Try taking pictures in front of mirrors because it helps create interesting effects even if you don’t have a fancy backdrop…
- If possible then try using different props like bike, swing, etc.. while shooting close-ups so that everyone looks natural!!!
- If you want to take pictures of your kids then try taking them in a centrally located area because this will make it easier for everyone to fit into the frame!
- And last but not least, try asking other relatives and friends who live nearby to take pictures because that will help you save a lot of money!!!
These are some ideas related to Family Portrait Photography Ideas.
Tips For Capturing Great Family Portraits
This section will talk about Tips For Capturing Great Family Portraits.
So, let’s begin with this topic without wasting any time….
There are some simple things every photographer should keep in mind while taking group photographs of large families….
- Get down on their level and try capturing them from an angle other than standing straight up or looking downward…
- Always try to capture a moment that is genuine and real because this will help you in getting great shots!
- Check out the background before shooting because this will determine whether your shot is unique or not!!!
- Don’t forget to capture candid moments while taking family portraits! People love seeing them in albums.
- Try to click pictures of people’s expressions and emotions as it can make photos look more genuine and real. If you know some candid tricks then go for it… if not, that’s fine too!
- Try getting creative with your shots while taking family portraits; click photos that are different from others!!!
- One important tip for parents is to get their children involved in the photo session because this will make them feel comfortable. This will result in great pictures too!
So, these were some simple tips that you have to keep in mind while taking great family portraits.
FAQs About How Do You Shoot Family Portraits
1 What settings should I use for family portraits?
Answer: Since family portraits are generally taken outdoors, I would suggest using an ISO of 200 or less. Also, make sure that your aperture setting is around f/11.
For shutter speed, you can use anywhere between 125th to 250th depending on the type of lighting conditions in your area.
If it’s overcast outside then try shooting at a lower speed so that all people present in the frame remain sharp!
And last but not least, make sure that white balance is set correctly according to time and location where photos are being shot!!!
Hope these settings help you take great pictures next time!
However, if you want to study a detailed discussion on this subject matter, you can check out this post on the best camera settings for outdoor family portraits.
2 What focus mode is best for family portraits?
Answer: If you are going to shoot family portraits outdoors, I would suggest using an aperture of f/11.
If you want to focus on one person then make sure that the setting for your camera is set in AF-S or Single Auto Focus mode!
After focusing on a particular face use the back button focus method (if available) so that all other people remain sharp!
This will help avoid unnecessary blurring and ensure great results even if there are other important members present in the frame.
If you do not have this option then try placing them at different distances from the main subject. This will be easier for small kids to stay focused while framing their faces closer towards the lens.
3 How can I take good family photos at home?
Answer: If you have a DSLR camera then it will be really helpful… If not, don’t worry!
You can still take great pictures even if all people and kids are staying at different corners of your room!!!
Just put two chairs in the middle and use them as props to keep everyone close to each other!
Also try using some interesting background like books or windows, etc. This will help create an overall better result.
And last but not least, remember that natural light is the best thing for family portraits so make sure there’s enough available before taking photos!
If you really want to take amazing family photos, you can check out this detailed discussion on how to capture great family photos at home.
4 Can you use a 50mm lens for family portraits?
Answer: Yes, you can definitely use a 50mm lens for family portraits. However, I would suggest using an aperture of f/11 or higher if possible.
And last but not least, make sure to take pictures against white backgrounds as mentioned before!
A family portrait is something that is really important for every parent because it captures memories that can be cherished forever!!!
In the above discussion, I have tried to share a step-by-step guideline on how to shoot family portraits. Besides, I have also shared some useful tips for shooting great family portraits.
So, if you think that these tips and guidelines mentioned above will help you take better family portraits then feel free to share this post with your friends and family who are interested in photography!
This is all I wanted to share with you in this blog post.
So, thanks for reading and I will catch you again next time with other interesting & useful photography tips.
By the way, if you want to get awesome photography tips, then don’t forget to follow this Blog.
Also, if you have any questions regarding family portraits, you can send me a message or comment below.
See You Soon!
Family Forever!!! 😊
Related Post : How to take family photos at home